Sunday, February 20, 2011

He Put a Ring On It

So, we got engaged.  Of course we did, otherwise I would have no business writing a wedding blog, no?

Anyway, it happened without much fanfare.  Which is what I preferred.  I didn't want him to do it anywhere public really.  Well, at least not anywhere public and crowded.  One random Tuesday night he locked himself and our 2 cats in the bedroom.  Not something he normally does, so I knew something was up.  I stood outside the door, knocking and asking what was going on.  When Chris finally opened the door, my sweet boy Dexter leaped out of his arms and ran underneath the bed in the guest bedroom.  I pretty much figured it out right away since they were all acting so weird.

I would like to pretend that everything went perfectly - that Chris slipped the special sparkly collar around Dexter's neck (with the ring of course) and Dexter came trotting over to me and we all had this beautiful moment while I read the special "Will you marry me?" medallion affixed to the collar.  Didn't happen that way.  Instead, I chased Dex around, pulled him from out under the bed, and then Chris and I basically held him down while trying to get the damn collar off of him so I could retrieve that diamond ring before something truly bad happened.  But it was a cute moment (to the extent that two sweaty, red-faced folks and one pissed-off black cat can be cute), and really, more befitting of us than a truly romantic moment would have been.  For better or worse, we just are not that couple. I wish we had gotten a picture of Dexter with the ring, but it just wasn't happening.  This is as close as the two of them will ever come again:



 Taking a picture of a diamond is hard.  As is taking a picture of Dex.

So now I wear a diamond ring on my left hand.  I always wondered what it would feel like to have a diamond ring on that finger.  I saw all of my girlfriends get married one after another about 10 years ago, and when we would get together back then we would all sit and pass the rings around, trying them all out on our own hands.  But I always wanted to know how it truly felt to have that ring on my hand, bearing the weight and meaning of a man's love and promise of a lifetime together.  Now I know.  Chosen.

1 comment:

  1. You made me laugh at loud visualizing Dex's involvement in your engagement. Then I got a little teary eyed at the magnitude of the meaning of a ring. . .

    ReplyDelete